Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Power's that are and Art.

Recently I heard someone say this: "Politics controls money, and the media controls law." It rang true with me. I could see the point, I remember examples, and for the most part couldn't say it wasn't true to some extent.

Yes, some may argue that this is a huge generality. I can also imagine that some folks seeth with hate for the American coorporate machine, the flaunting of American freedom, and the arrogant, almost niave, American outlook on the rest of the world. All I can say to those people is that I understand, even though I don't completely agree (otherwise why would I be writing this blog explaining these very things?)

But this blog is not about hating the state of the world. This blog is not about how people should rise up and change their society from the inside. This blog does not even hope to inspire people to take a political stance or report fair and accurate news as part of journalistic integrity.

Instead this blog is about Art. If indeed politics controls money, and if indeed the media controls justice, then who controls art? I have an answer (I think). The answer simply is the church, at least in America. So now I can imagine all of the American Corporate machine haters, with a strange sort of dear-in-the-headlights look, and the word "what?" wanting to fall from their collective lips.

When the reformist errupted on the scene in Germany years ago and decided to remove color, and papist things from their churches it affected art. Of course the same is true of Decartes, and the separation between the physical and the spiritual. It makes sense too that things like the Sistine Chapel, and the Last Supper, and the great and beautiful churches all over the world also inspired young, starving artist. Many popular bands, and musicians are born into the church, at some point.

Though I may be wrong there are many musicians likely to be christians. Chistian: that hated and now tainted word describing someone who is affiliated, but not neccessarily a servent of Christ. For me the list looks like this: U2, Switchfoot, Sting, Will Smith, Evenessence, Teddy Gieger, KJ-52, Jeremy Camp, POD. This list of likely christians goes on (and I'll probably add this list later on). But for a second realize that the biggest rock band in the world U2 is on that list.

By itself this list is not enough to make my point...but its a start.

No comments: